Not wanting to get stuck in a rut and coast into middle age, I decided to try at least fifty new things in 12 months – it was such good fun that I am going to keep going and say Yes to more new experiences !


Wednesday 29 April 2015

26. DNA Testing!

No - not for paternity reasons, I won' be appearing on the Jeremy Kyle show!
my Great-great Grandad's grave


I took the Ancestry DNA test because I was curious about my ethnic roots. Through my genealogy searching, I have discovered that I am mainly good old Suffolk Stock with my 13x grandparents coming from Wingfield near Eye (only about 20 miles from where I sit now). There are a few ancestors coming from London and Kent but nothing much further afield! 

So I was quite surprised when the results came back as

  •  57% Great Britain
  •  27% Europe West
  •  5% Italy/Greece
  •  5 Other regions
The other regions were Ireland 5% Scandinavia 2% East European 1% - so it looks like I am a bit more cosmopolitan than I thought. I certainly need to investigate some of the dead-ends of the family tree to discover where the link with France, Germany or the Netherlands comes in.
My great aunts and uncles from the Jolley Family

It also came up with 10 other people in the database who are likely to be my 4th Cousins  ie  we share the same great, great, great grandparents!

No comments:

Post a Comment